For the spinach pie with phyllo dough sheets
Lightly oil the pan and spread the first phyllo sheet so that the ends hang over the edges of the pan. Oil the phyllo and repeat the process with 4 more sheets. Spread the half of the filling evenly, spread 1 more sheet, brush with oil, spread the other half of the filling, add one more sheet, brush with oil, fold the edges inside one by one while oiling each one before folding the next one. Spread 3 sheets one on top of the other, oiling each. Push the edges inside the sides of the pan with a small knife or the back side of a spoon.
Brush the pie with olive oil and score in rectangles.
Bake in a preheated oven at 160°C (320°F) until it gets a nice golden-brown color, for about 2 hours.
For the homemade phyllo dough
Place all ingredients except the olive oil in a mixer bowl fitted with a hook and knead until smooth dough is formed, about 5 minutes. Divide the dough in smaller pieces, add the olive oil and knead again until the oil incorporates in the dough. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let rest for an hour.
*you can make the dough by hand following the same steps.
Divide the dough into small parts (around 35 gr. each, depends the size you want to open the sheets). Spread some corn starch on the workbench so that the dough does not stick and open the dough using a rolling pin in a slightly larger size of the baking pan. Continue until you finish with the dough
For the spinach stuffing
Season the spinach with salt and mix while squeezing the leaves with your hands for a minute and leave aside.
Place a pot over medium heat, add the olive oil, season with salt and sweat the onions and the leeks until soft. Remove from the pot and set aside to cool down.
Mix and squeeze the spinach with your hands to release its liquid and reduce its volume. Once reduced wrap it in a kitchen towel and squeeze to remove as much liquid as possible. Place the spinach in a bowl and mix with the cooked onion mixture and the rest of the ingredients.
COOK ALONG PREP & EQUIPMENT LIST
- cleaned fresh onions
- cleaned leek
- cleaned fresh spinach without stems
- feta cheese chopped
- picked and chopped herbs
- scaled ingredients per recipe
- separated ingredients per recipe
- 1 weighing scale
- several bowls for storage
- 1 large pot to cook the onions and the leeks for the stuffing (ideally 30*9.5cm / 11.8*3.7 inches)
- 1 spoon spatula for cooking
- 1 towel for squeezing the spinach
- 1 bowl to mix the cooked onions and leeks with the squeezed spinach
- 1 tong
- 1 stand mixer with hook for the dough (if you want to prepare the home made dough)
- 1 plastic wrap for resting the dough
- 1 rolling pin (ideally 30cm / 11.8 inches)
- 1 rectangle baking pan (ideally 36*25cm / 14*9.8 inches)
- 1 pastry brush for oiling
- 1 chopping board (ideal 20*30cm / 7.8*11.8 inches)
- 1 chef’s knife (ideal 20cm / 7.8 inches)
- 1 bread knife (ideal 20cm / 7.8 inches)
- 1 utility knife (paring knife)
- kitchen paper